I grew up in Livermore, went to school at Stan State but I got my education in Stockton. What a difference I see in both Leaf and I since we moved here. We both learned so much about each other, life, and the world.
Stockton opened my eyes to the world and exposed me to things I would have never learned about if I stayed in Turlock or Livermore. I honestly think I am a better person for living here. One, I am much more appreciative of people. I have learned how important it is to have good friends. I would say the best friends I have ever had in my whole life live here in Stockton. It will be sad to say goodbye BUT we will only be 45 minutes away. The second reason Stockton has made me a better person is what I learned about myself....I will save that for me and my therapist. Just kidding. The third thing which seems really sad but true is I learned about people and things I would have never encountered anywhere else I have lived. I was a bit naive about the world I guess....the following are some prime examples.
To put this all in perspective I was afraid to stay home alone in Livermore....
My first Stockton memory was driving with Angela on Pacific before I moved here and she flashed her lights at a car to let them know their lights were off. Then we looked at each other and said a prayer. We both had just watched a news story where gangs were shooting people doing this same thing. Great intro.
Once I moved here I was terrified of downtown. First, everyone talked about how nasty it was and dangerous so I cannot be blamed completely. The first time I did was to go to Environmental Health for a work thing and when I got out of my car I held my purse so tight. Little did I know that I was in a safe place in a few weeks I would be talking to homeless people and laughing just blocks away....
When I decided to change careers I was over my fears and asked to work at the toughest school in town, Edison. I absolutely loved it but there were some scary moments and times when my lack of experience was evident. It was at Edison that I learned a "porch monkey" is not a cute little primate that hides on peoples front porches. Leaf almost fell out of his chair when I asked what it was....he then said "do you let the kids call each other that?" Well by the end of my time at Edison I was an expert on all sorts of slang and gangs. I loved the kids and they never gave me any trouble. It was a great place to work once you got past the idiosyncrasies of the neighborhood.
So at the end of my time here I am a little sad to leave my friends but I leave more confident, independent, and a better person for all that has gone on.
Life in Livermore is just hours away....so who knows when I will blog again. My parents internet connection is not so slow anymore it just sometimes is not there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
My connection is just fine thank you! And, by the way, what is a porch monkey? (I have lived in Livermore for a very long time!)
Hi Donna,
Can't wait to visit you and the baby at your mom's house. Call me when it's safe to visit! :) P.S. I don't know what a "porch monkey" is either?? Talk to you soon.
Lydia (PGWAA 1996)
I grew up in Colton... porch monkies are all over! :)
I have to say that I did not know what it was until I watched Clerks II. Bob was cracking up! Ok, so I am a little sheltered. I am from the O.C!!! GAG!!!
Shelley
I am with the sheltered crew...what is a porch monkey? I can come up with a few ideas...not really print friendly. Help a poor country kid out!
Cindy
Okay, a porch monkey is a derogatory name for a black person. Originally it was used to describe poor black people who sat on their porches in rocking chairs.
Today it is used to describe a person who sits on their porch and sells drugs.
Post a Comment