Today Alex is leaving for London. Last night we all said goodbye and I cried. Not in front of him of course because I did not want to feel bad. It was so hard watching him say goodbye to the girls and realizing that that they have no comprehension that he and Deanne are moving so far away. It is the first time in their lives that Uncle Alex will not be down the road. The flip side is they are just a plane ride away but it will be an adjustment for everyone.
It is kind of ironic that we are all sad Dee and Alex are moving. It was only a few short years ago that Dee was 17 and most of us would have done anything to send her half way around the world.
As far as Alex goes...I was the person who he was warned about meeting for the first time after Deanne and him became engaged. I would eat him alive was what he heard. Apparently I was away at college when Alex was back in Livermore about 10 years ago. I do not remember meeting him and this is probably a good thing for both of us. If anything the first time we met I was more intrigued about why he wanted to marry Deanne. She was crazy (my perspective). At that time Deanne and I were still coming out of our teenage years. We drove each other crazy and were very good at pushing each others buttons. Needless to say those days have past...thank God.
So I met Alex and was shocked. He was normal, ambitious, had a job, and plans. I figured in 6 months he would be sick of Dee and gone. Obviously that did not happen and I began to realize they were perfect for each other. Alex turned out to the best thing that could happen to Deanne. They really bring out the best in each other.
I fully expect that Alex will be very successful in his new job. I am guessing one day he will be running Virgin or some small country of his own. When I think of all the things he has done and accomplished since I have known him I am amazed. The guy is not even 30 yet!
To Dee and Alex good luck and I promise to make it out for a visit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I cried too.
I cried too! But that was when I read your lovely words, Donna.
Alex has done really well and we are all SO proud of him, but we are all equally proud of Dee. The old adage ' behind every great man .....' has never been truer and Alex is very lucky to have her and all the wonderful 'De Rego ' family. Love Y'all!
Thank you :) I can't sya anymore or else I will cry through my typing.
Post a Comment