First there are many things much worse than any symptoms I have experienced in pregnancy. Many women have much harder times BUT this is my blog and I can complain if I want to. In the last two years I have run more miles than the average person walks in an entire year. I have done yoga, golfed (I always walk!), and I even started eating this whole South Beach Diet thing. For me diet was the only thing that is hard. I cut back on alcohol, carbs, and my beloved McDonald's.
So I was a little shocked that I was starting to not feel well and having fatigue. I just figured it was normal. I even got a headache or two but I teach high school freshmen....normal again. My last doctors visit I had a "routine" glucose screening. In my family nothing in routine first of all. I did the test and then they said I had to do another test...of course. My numbers were a little high. So I did the test which involved no small feat. I fasted from 10 pm until 12 pm the following day! I drank the sugary substance. Endured a waiting room for 3 hours while I was routinely poked. I knew my fate before the phone call even came. Something was not normal.
So I freaked out a bit when I read about people with gestational diabetes having 20 lb babies. I read the diets I would now have to follow....which is what I have been doing already. Plus a Big Mac here and there. Then I called Jennifer, my doctor, and she did not seem as alarmed as the nurse who called with the results. Come to find out I do not have it completely. I could develop it, I have a insulin resistance, I just have to eat right and not worry. There is really nothing I can do.
Basically, one hour after I eat I feel like crap. I feel tired, my stomach feels all funny like after you wake up from a good nap, and that is about it. Such is life with my families genes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment