Well, I can say a lot. As you read this keep in mind that I am 7 months pregnant, about 35-40 lbs heavier, and barely able to wipe my own ass.
Leaf and I set off on a pre-pregnancy planned trip to New York. Overall I managed pretty well, visited a lot of bathrooms (surprisingly clean), and enjoyed the trip.
Traveling with Leaf is hard to describe. The best description I can think of is an swearing, over excited 5 year old mixed with a schizophrenic comedian. He forgets to pack things (unless I help), he jumps around talking a million miles per hour using voices he thinks are funny, and freaks out when he does not know what is going on. LUCKILY, for me this usually subsides buy the first night. The voices seem to stick around longer. I had to point out during the NBC Studio tour that his impression of Tracy Morgan, although flawless, might be offensive to the nice African American couple in front of us.
So on to the trip details. We arrived Friday and took a cab from JFK to Midtown. I made Leaf tip the driver extra because I have never heard somebody ask so many ridiculous questions. By the time we got to our hotel Leaf learned our cabbie was from Haiti, had three sons, no grandchildren, was a retired shipping clerk, that he had not made a trip yet that night, where the rich people lived and so on.
Leaf and I set off on a pre-pregnancy planned trip to New York. Overall I managed pretty well, visited a lot of bathrooms (surprisingly clean), and enjoyed the trip.
Traveling with Leaf is hard to describe. The best description I can think of is an swearing, over excited 5 year old mixed with a schizophrenic comedian. He forgets to pack things (unless I help), he jumps around talking a million miles per hour using voices he thinks are funny, and freaks out when he does not know what is going on. LUCKILY, for me this usually subsides buy the first night. The voices seem to stick around longer. I had to point out during the NBC Studio tour that his impression of Tracy Morgan, although flawless, might be offensive to the nice African American couple in front of us.
So on to the trip details. We arrived Friday and took a cab from JFK to Midtown. I made Leaf tip the driver extra because I have never heard somebody ask so many ridiculous questions. By the time we got to our hotel Leaf learned our cabbie was from Haiti, had three sons, no grandchildren, was a retired shipping clerk, that he had not made a trip yet that night, where the rich people lived and so on.
On Saturday we decided to take advantage of the relatively nice weather and head out to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. What a moving experience. The Statue was neat but Ellis Island was my favorite part of the whole trip. When I stood inside the main processing room I was thinking about how my great-grandparents stood in the very same room almost 100 years ago. My eyes and even Leaf's were watering, realizing the challenges they faced, the fear they felt, and the hope. Just outside the window you can see the skyline of New York. It was so close. When I was standing in the room I could feel the baby kicking...I cannot even describe what I was feeling then. Elana will be part of the 4th generation for both our families born in America. What a blessing.
Yes that is me, the pudgy thing at the bottom of the picture.
Monday was our big sophisticated day. I would consider two people with our education level and backgrounds to be somewhat cultured. We decided to go visit the Museum of Modern Art. The lesson of the day was we are not cultured...I will save the details for a separate blog. I am even considering making my own gallery of modern art. Check back to see what I decide.
After the wonderful MoMa experience Leaf wanted to see Times Square. It was all Anthony Bourdain said it would be, commercial, Disney, and full of people. The best part of that day was the free sympathy desert we got with dinner. Like I am going to turn down free dessert!
On Tuesday we decided to take the subway to JFK rather than pay so much for a cab. What an adventure and one I would recommend to anyone who wants to see what New York is like when you leave the touristy areas. We caught the subway in Grand Central and made a detour to a Gray's Papaya. Anthony Bourdain claims it is the best cheap hot dog in the world. He may be right. Plus, we got of the subway and the streets were like any big city, crowded, dirty but in the big city good way, and amazing. That was what I wanted to see, the real New York...not Madison Ave. We got our Gray's and headed back into the subway and off we went. For $7 each we were able to get to the airport...
So New York can be checked off my list. It is just one of those places you have to see once in your life.
After the wonderful MoMa experience Leaf wanted to see Times Square. It was all Anthony Bourdain said it would be, commercial, Disney, and full of people. The best part of that day was the free sympathy desert we got with dinner. Like I am going to turn down free dessert!
On Tuesday we decided to take the subway to JFK rather than pay so much for a cab. What an adventure and one I would recommend to anyone who wants to see what New York is like when you leave the touristy areas. We caught the subway in Grand Central and made a detour to a Gray's Papaya. Anthony Bourdain claims it is the best cheap hot dog in the world. He may be right. Plus, we got of the subway and the streets were like any big city, crowded, dirty but in the big city good way, and amazing. That was what I wanted to see, the real New York...not Madison Ave. We got our Gray's and headed back into the subway and off we went. For $7 each we were able to get to the airport...
So New York can be checked off my list. It is just one of those places you have to see once in your life.
3 comments:
New York will have to be a post baby trip for us, it is also on my list. Sounds like fun, I too would love to see the real New York, not the commercial New York!
Rent a car next time and drive around :) It is fun and you can see the tri state area and all of new england.
Oh and I will take you to the MOMA here. If it is the same then yeah you should start your own gallery.
For my first work I shit in my hand and wiped it on a cake. I call it shit cake. It is an inspirational peice showing the start of foods life to its end, yet physically resembling its surreal inner self at the same time.
Nice Dee...I think you found your calling.
Post a Comment