Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Big Day


Last Friday started out like any other day...my mom and I made plans to go to Old Sac and walk around to see if we could get things started. First, I had to go to one of my many fetal monitoring appointments. At this point in the day everything was going pretty normal. I was having contractions but nothing painful. During the monitoring the nurse told me she needed to go see the doctor because she thought something was up. I knew this was a bad sign, my day was about to change. Of all days, this was not the day to have the baby. Leaf had to work all weekend and my doctor would not be available until Monday! Luck would have it that this was the day. The doctors decided the baby was coming and I was admitted to the hospital.

From this point nothing was in my hands and I was totally okay with that. I figured out pretty early on in his process to just go with the flow. Overall the experience was really a breeze for me. For all the little nagging things I had to deal with during the pregnancy the delivery was cake. Obviously, this was my first experience with any of this so all I had was books, friends, and the Baby Story to go on for what I would experience. I expected a much more unpleasant experience.

First, on the advice of my sister and doctor I got an epidural. I was lucky that the nurse and doctors gave me some control. If I was in pain they would up the medicine but the plan was to use it as little as possible. The second thing that made everything great was my nurse, Cindy. She was amazing and kept me relaxed and informed about what was happening. The times are a little fuzzy but somewhere around 10 pm I was informed that my regular doctor could come if I delivered before midnight or if I was still in labor in the morning. At that point I came to grips with the fact Jen would not be there (which just made my eyes water right now) but I wanted to do a good job because she had done an amazing job with me during the pregnancy. Sometime shortly after this news I was checked and at 8 cm...the baby was coming and coming soon. I was still feeling contractions but nothing like those ladies on TV. I was pretty shocked that this was all I felt. Around 12 I told the nurse I think something is happening and they checked me again and decided to change my position to a sitting position. I was there for about an hour until I really felt the urge to push. Then it was total relief when I could push. I would equate the feeling to taking a very large poop. I was able to talk up until the very end and I never swore or raised my voice or anything. After just 50 minutes of pushing Elana Kathleen was born.


Right now everyone is doing great and just enjoying the experience. I am off to breastfeed once again.

3 comments:

Eyrene said...

Ahhh, you make it all sound so simple Donna. I hope, someday, when I eventually have kids, it goes as smoothly (in general) for me. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Donna and Leaf!! She is just so precious!! Love and Blessings, Lydia :)

Anonymous said...

COngratulations Donna!!! She is beautiful!! Welcome to mommyhood!!!! It's an amazing journey!!! Now you have to catch up to me!!! LOL I have 4 now!! Ages 8, 5, 3, and 2!!!! Take care and enjoy it!!! They grow so fast!! Love, Nellie