Thursday, May 1, 2008

Week 4 and more

Okay so I am late but I can explain. Something happened in the last 2 weeks. First, Elana does not sleep as much. Second, she decided that the night is for partying and that sleeping is for the day. She also took a break from pooping which sounds nice but in reality is worse. I figured well less gross diapers but the flip side is she is cranky. Third, I was out of town visiting my grandmother in the hospital. So there are my excuses.
The big news for week 4 was that uncle Alex came for a visit. Before Alex could dream about having a baby of his own reality struck and "Baby Lana" blew out her diaper during dinner. It was so bad we had to just hose her off. This was followed by complete shock by me...this had never happened before. Luckily I was at my parents and Darlene took over and cleaned the baby up. As usual it is easier being the younger sister because Darlene already knows what to do.

Since Gram is so sick Dee decided to fly out from England to boost Gram's spirits. It was great for all of us to see Dee and to see Gram so happy. The visit might of been the factor that helped Gram get over the hump. Gram was moved last week to a rehabilitation facility in Livermore. It is nice that she is closer to my parents.

On that note, here is my rant. For Gram she cannot be blamed for smoking. It was advocated by health care professionals as a healthy thing to do in the 40's. Today there is no excuse to smoke. The research is clear and no amount of exercise, eating healthy, or praying is going to protect a person from the dangers of smoking. My rant however is bigger than smoking it is all unhealthy things. I am guilty of eating bad, having to much to drink, not exercising, making excuses. We all are. I honestly believe that I will out live most teenagers because I did not grow up of video games, fast food, and highly sexualized TV. Every generation has its "cigarettes." Something we do that is unhealthy, sometimes we know that to be the case and sometimes we do not. For me it is unhealthy eating, for Kasey and Lindsey lack of physical activity (not that they are not active but their peer group), for you it may be something else. Whatever it is we need to recognize it and make better choices for ourselves and our families. If you are reading this and you look down and see and extra 20 lbs on you belly or know the menu's at several restaurants maybe there is room for some change. No one she be going through what my family is going through in this day and age. Bottom line is we know better.

So there it is. Until next time....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok--so every one of my kids has had the "blow out" diaper. We had to scoop it out of the swing with Connor--so gross!