Wednesday, July 16, 2008

We all have skills...

We all have things in life that we are good at I have found my gift, potty training. I approached like a horse whisper except I was dealing with a stubborn almost year old. Camryn has been "potty training" for a while. 6 months ago Darlene gave up. My mom has tried recently but it has been a battle. The other day after watching what everyone else was doing I decided to give it a try. First, I talked with Cam about the benefits of underwear and disadvantages of diapers....like she understood it all but still. Then I convinced her to come with me and give it a try. Being mellow and not caring if she really did it was the key. I also red the two same books over and over. I got her to do things no one else has. Finally we ended with her putting on panties which has not happened...which led to her peeing in them but that is besides the point. We focused on the positive.

Today Cam was totally ready to give it a go again. This time I had a game plan. I was not letting her off the potty. 2 hours later, a hot dog, bowl of ice cream, a lemonade, her hands soaking in warm water, and a manicure we had success. I was even able to take her to Walmart in panties to buy Pull-Ups and a root beer float. Somehow some Starburst wound up mixed in too.

So I know it is just the first day of success but unless you know Cam you really cannot understand how big this is. She was going to be the first kid to go to college in diapers.

2 comments:

Liz Nicks said...

Potty whisperer it is...I've got you on my calendar for next summer to train Connor. Kinda like swim lessons, but different.

Anonymous said...

That is a great idea, Liz! We can all pimp Donna out as "The Potty Whisperer" and get her a show on TLC. Soon Donna will be potty training Branjelina and Bennifer's children!

Shannen