Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Breast Milk Donation

So anyone who knows me knows I would work for free. Don't get me wrong but my parents made one mistake in raising my sisters and me, we are generous to a fault. I have given away clothes off my back, things I have had to go out and buy again, countless hours doing all sorts of things. Why, because it is the right thing to do. For Pete's sake, my parents let people stay at our house for six months. They literally came for dinner, asked to stay the night, and then moved in their mattresses and kids.

Not a huge surprise that when I found out you could donate breast milk I signed up. I was not going to say anything because I am not doing it to get a prize...although I do have great milk. Elana loves it.... I decided to blog about it because my hope is that someone else will do the same thing.

The process is simple, you sign up, get medically cleared from you doctor, they have someone come out and do blood work, and then you test your freezer to see if it is cold enough. I went through The International Breast Milk Project Bank (http://www.breastmilkproject.org/). Once you are qualified they send you all the supplies you need plus a Medela pump....to keep. The milk is used to make fortifier for NICU babies and a percentage is sent to Africa to feed AIDs orphans.

Leaf and I feel that making the donations is a way of giving back and thanking God for blessing us with a beautiful baby girl.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good job to you for HAVING enough milk to share like that! Then again, a free Medela pump would probably get my body to produce more too!

Anonymous said...

Wow I was just watching a documentary on this the other day and it was one of the few things I thought I would do. Gonna blog about it so read when I do :)

The show was called "other people's breast milk." Weird, intriguing and inspirational stories.