Saturday, February 21, 2009

Dancing Queen

Elana has the bug. Any music makes her just have to dance. She even dances when she eats. At first I thought she was just bouncing to bounce. Then Leaf's phone rang and she went crazy...head banging to Hells Bells. She stands up, holding onto the baby gate and throws her head back and forth. Total 80's hair band style...where she got that I have no clue.

After discovering her love of the tunes we got her a boom box. When I was setting the stations I ran into KMEL...totally the home of hip hop back in the day. Still the "rap" station now I guess and she was bouncing to that too. Now we are doing music everywhere. The Bare Naked Ladies have and awesome kids album that we sing to in the car. Elana cannot make much sense yet but she yells along with the music.

Last night was Auntie Shannie bonus night and the two of them danced for a long time. There is no shame in our family, we dance like fools just to get the baby to dance.

So somehow this is Leaf's fault...the dancing. Maybe it is his dream as well. When Leaf was a little boy his mom took him to the city. When Leaf saw the street performers dancing on the milk crates he turned to his mom and said (when you read the quote think of someone who would say jive turkey and do it in that tone) "man those people are made for dancing." The experience turned into Leaf and his friends trying to break dance on card board and a lot of parachute pants....needless to say Leaf has no rhythm. Although he can do the robot pretty well.

At least now he can live vicariously through his daughter.

2 comments:

Eyrene said...

That is awesome!

Anonymous said...

I can also attest to Elana's dance moves. She totally head bangs! It is awesome. And yes Donna, I admit that I will dance like a fool just to get the baby movin'. It is not too late to start talking with a Jamaican accent...