I hate, with a passion, snails!!! There is not a single reason they are around other than to be a pest. They are like garden fleas. I know they are part of the food chain and indicate soil conditions and all that BS but I still hate them.
First, I started tomatoes, artichokes, jalapenos, pumpkins, sunflowers, and some basil in the house so that I could have a nice little garden patch to pick from. I nursed these plants from infancy...tilled the soil with my own hands. Then one morning one plant was gone, the next day another and so on. I decided to put salt on the walkway keep the snails out. That did not work they went to the other plants...Then I hunted them. I got my flashlight and sat outside at night and waited for them. I must have killed 50 snails. I do have some experience in the extermination business...the gopher story is legendary. Angela and I still talk about the day we almost blew up the front yard. Anyhow, the darn snails ate my pumpkins, right down to the stem. War on bitches.
I researched the proper way to rid your garden of snails...lavender petals, eggs shells, the last resort was bait. So after sleeping on it I ate eggs for breakfast, went and bought some lavender bushes...drought resistant...and reluctantly bought pet safe bait. Snail problem solved.
So I did resort to the bait but I had to consider how much time and money I had put into the plants I still had. I guess in the end it would be cheaper to buy the darn vegetables at the store....but the pride in growing it yourself and being a part of the land, that is priceless.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment